The project charter is the initial document of a project, its formalization, the project manager through the project charter clearly defines what are the commitments in terms of resources, whether human or finance techniques to achieve the objective of the project.
The project manager must be defined during the preparation of the project charter, which will be an active and of address for the preparation of the same.
The project charter will be to identify:
- the reason for which it was decided to undertake the project (feasibility)
- quality that the product / service must provide (cost / benefit analysis)
- the destination of the project (goal setting)
- name of the project manager and definition of commitments and resources assigned to him
- logical-temporal plane
- drafting of procedures for the management of the project and to provide evidence of the progress of work
- exclusions, duties and requirements
- variables that may affect the project
- other related activities
- subordination to other projects
The objectives to be achieved through the project charter are:
- provide a vision of what will be the project
- define the objectives of all the resources involved in the realization of the project
- analyze potentially critical situations
- assurance of consistency with the objectives to be achieved
Certainly in the project charter you will also encounter the corporate vision to the team that will go to interact in that specific project can be found as an indicator of the direction of the organization's strategy.